slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image

Welcome Friends

I am a North Carolina conceptual portrait photographer. Look here for updates on my photography adventures. Visit www.HeatherEvansSmith.com for details on commissioned portrait shoots and fine art sales.

April 15, 2014: The Art Institute of Raleigh Durham

This February I had the pleasure of lecturing and demonstrating to photography students at the Art Institute of Raleigh Durham. The students were warm and welcoming.

I love to do creativity exercises with my workshop participants. One exercise involves music. The song I chose was Chris Thile's How To Grow A Woman From The Ground. We listened to the music and let it take us to a creative place. Of course, I don't want to miss out on the fun, so I created my version of the song in advance. Here is my image Domicile.
Domicile (inspired by the song How To Grow A Woman From The Ground)
The students shared their ideas. They ranged from commercial to fine art, humorous to emotional. I was thrilled to find out one of the students actually shot her idea after the workshop. Below is her image.
Art Institute of Raleigh Durham student Chrystal Kelly's version of the song lyrics.

I also did a quick shooting demonstration. I want to emphasize during my workshops and demonstrations that little money is needed to create a magical environment. In the shots below just plexiglass, water, flowers, window light and a beautiful model were needed.



Plexiglass, window light, flowers, water and a beautiful model = a cost effective way to create a magical image.

A stripped down version from the demonstration.
A big thanks to everyone at The Art Institute of Raleigh Durham. I had a wonderful time creating and sharing with you! My next workshop will be in Portland this June. For more details visit my website at www.heatherevanssmith.com.

0 comments: