slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image

Welcome Friends

I am a North Carolina conceptual portrait photographer. Look here for updates on my photography adventures. Visit www.HeatherEvansSmith.com for details on commissioned portrait shoots and fine art sales.

June 26, 2012: It Takes A Village (to raise a photographer)

As I was looking through the outtakes from my last image A Soft Place To Land. One image in particular stood out to me. I am standing in front of the mattress and my husband is peaking out from behind. Both my dad and husband were behind the mattress supporting my body weight while I jumped on it from the front. It is a perfect metaphor for the support that I have gotten from friends, family and complete strangers in regards to my photography.

It started out with friends helping me out with assignments for a camera techniques class. Most of these images were simple portraits exploring depth of field and shutter speed. Images became slowly more involved. Friends and family were asked to sit in cold stream waters, cover themselves in corn starch, carry large televisions down steep flights of stairs, hold heavy objects, stand still in awkward leg wobbling positions, stare straight at the sun and the list goes on and on. No one ever complained or ever questioned my vision. My friends and family have always had the attitude whatever you need, I am there for you. Whether my need was for a model, assistant, location, heavy lifting, babysitting, prop searching, they have been there.

It is because of them that I have been able to achieve my visions and take my photography places that I never thought I could. I want to thank each and every one of them. I seriously couldn't do it without you.

Peaking over to see what was going on on the other side of the mattress.
A Soft Place To Land
© 2012 Heather Evans Smith Photography



2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Beautiful post & image Heather! You are such an inspiration with the powerful images you create. I also believe that the support you have received is not only because people love & care about you, but because you are a wonderful person.

Heather Evans Smith said...

Thank you so much Lindsey! :)