slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image

Welcome Friends

I am a North Carolina conceptual portrait photographer. Look here for updates on my photography adventures. Visit www.HeatherEvansSmith.com for details on commissioned portrait shoots and fine art sales.

October 9, 2012: Id: The Object of Self

 I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.  -Frida Kahlo

Self-portraits have remained a constant in my photography. It started out as a way to experiment with new ideas. I was essentially the only model available. I joke that I am always around, know exactly what the photographer wants and do not complain (well, I still complain). But it has evolved into much more than that over the years.

Self-portraiture has become a means of therapy, a way to express emotions of myself or others around me. Also, as a way to place myself in a surreal world that doesn't quite exist in our reality. I found out over time that ultimately a picture with me in it becomes more personal than of any one else as the subject.

I am pleased to announce that I have 3 images in the Darkroom Gallery's current exhibition Id: The Object of Self.  My image The Heart and The Heavy was selected as Juror's Choice (by the amazing Cig Harvey). This was the first in a series I have been currently working on with the same name.

© 2012 Heather Evans Smith Photography / The Heart and The Heavy: Juror's Choice for the Id: Object of Self exhibition
The opening reception for the show is October 14 at 1 p.m. at their space in Essex Junction, Vermont. There will be a presentation/discussion led by photographer Polly Raine. If I lived even a fraction closer I would be there.

For more information on the Darkroom Gallery, please go to their website. You can preview and purchase the exhibition book online here.

1 comments:

Laura C Frazier said...

WOW! Congrats, Heather. There are some amazing photos in the show. Yours are so intriguing to me. They call me in.